Sunday, November 9, 2008

We'll Miss You Grandpa



On October 30, 2008, I got a call from my mom telling me that my grandma had just passed away. I had been preparing myself all week for the news, but the tears began to fall. Its hard losing a man that has been a part of my life for 22 years.
As we headed up north, I was dreading it. Knowing the reason for our trip made it hard and I kept telling Kyle I didn't want to go. The part I dreaded the most was when I would walk into my grandma's house and not see grandpa sitting in the living room watching tv like he had been almost everytime I went to visit.
The funeral services were perfect. My dad, VaunaDee, and Chris spoke. All the girls sang love at home, and then for the closing song Crae, dad, Chris, and Doug sang a medley of country songs. The last song they sang was happy trails; a song that will forever remind me of the times I spent up at grandpas house.
Its times like these that I realize what an amazing family I have and I'm so greatful for that. As I listen to my dad speak about memories of his dad, it made me think of how hard it would be to lose a parent, no matter the age. I just hope I never have to see that day.
I looked up and admired my grandpa; his sense of humor, his work ethic, his love for his family, and of course grandpa would not be grandpa without his temper. Here are a couple memories I have that I will always hold dear of my grandpa:
  • Driving down creamery lane and seeing him on his 4-wheeler or tractor feeding the cows or just driving through the herd
  • Grandpa always had a belly and he would tell us granchildren that he swallowed a watermelon seed and it was growing inside of him
  • Cooking a nice hamburger late at night for dinner with plenty of pepper
  • Driving up and seeing him on the front porch, listening to music, watching his cows, peacocks or hores, or whittling canes. After a horse ride, I would always go sit with him and talk for awhile
  • He would always call me jelly and ask if I had brought him some beer.....why?? I have no idea
  • His crazy comb over hair.....that when it was actually combed :O
  • And of course his jokes!!!




Happy Trails to you grandpa......till we meet again!
Love you!!!!

1 comment:

Kaitlin Phelps said...

Jalee-
It sounds like the funeral was beautiful. It is a great feeling to have wonderful memories and times of laughter to remember when a loved one passes away. Just wanted you to know my love and prayers are with you and your family.
Kait